- 1.5 mg: Each tablet contains Levonorgestrel BP 1.5 mg. Levonorgestrel belongs to a group of medicines called progestogen.
- 0.75 mg: Each tablet contains Levonorgestrel BP 0.75 mg. Levonorgestrel belongs to a group of medicines called progestogen.
This contraception is used as soon as possible, preferably within 12 hours and no later than 72 hours (3 days) after the unprotected sexual intercourse, particularly
- If you have had sexual intercourse whereas either yourself or your partner did not use a contraceptive method.
- If you have forgotten to take consecutive 3 regular contraceptive pills.
- If your partner’s condom has broken, slipped, or been improperly removed or if he has forgotten to use it.
- If you fear that your intrauterine device has been expelled.
- If your vaginal diaphragm or your contraceptive cap has moved or if have removed it too easily.
- If you are afraid that the method of coitus interruptus has failed or if you have had sexual intercourse during the period when you are supposed to be fertile while using the rhythm method.
- In the event of rape.
1.5 mg tablet must be taken as soon as possible preferably within 12 hours, after the unprotected intercourse and no longer than within 72 hours (3 days) after the intercourse. The second tablet (if exists) should be taken between 12 hours at the earliest and 24 hours at the latest, after the first tablet intake. It can be taken at any moment during the menstrual cycle.
After using emergency contraception, it is recommended to use a local contraceptive mean (condom, spermicide, cervical cap) until the next menstrual period resumes. The use of Norix 1 does not contraindicate the continuation of regular hormonal contraception.
If you have used this medicine while you were using oral contraception (contraceptive pill), you should carry on taking the usual tablets until the end of the treatment. In case no menstrual period occurs in the next pill-free period following the use of Levonorgestrel, a pregnancy test should be performed to rule out a pregnancy. No acute toxicity has been demonstrated with this medicine in case of intake of several doses.
One tablet should be taken orally with a glass of water.
Price in Bangladesh
Norix 1 tablet Prices in Bangladesh are as follows:
- 1.5 mg 1 tablet pack: ৳ 60.00
- 0.75 mg 2 tablet pack: ৳ 60.00
Simultaneous administration of certain anticonvulsant agents (phenobarbiton, phenytoin, primidone, carbamazepin), also other medications such as rafimpicin and griseofulvin can reduce or suppress the effectiveness of this emergency contraception.
Undesirable effects of Norix 1 which have been observed are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dizziness, fatigue, headache
- Abdominal pain
- The feeling of breast tenderness
- Bleeding can occur after taking this medicine
Inform the doctor of any unwanted effect which is not mentioned here.
Pregnancy & Lactation
The medicine is not indicated in case of pre-existing pregnancy and cannot interrupt it in case of failure of this contraceptive mean with persisting pregnancy. Epidemiological studies indicate no adverse effects of progestogen on the malformation of a fetus. Lactation is possible.
However, since Norix 1 is secreted into breast milk it is suggested that you breastfeed immediately before taking each tablet and that you skip nursing following each Norix 1 tablet administration.
Precautions & Warnings
Emergency contraception must be used exceptionally since It does not allow to prevent a pregnancy in every instance The associated hormonal overdosing is not advisable in case of regular Intake, It cannot replace regular contraception After taking Norix 1, the menstrual period usually occurs at the expected date nevertheless, it can occur earlier or later by a few days.
After taking this tablet, it is therefore mandatory to check the absence of pregnancy by performing a pregnancy test in case of abnormal bleeding at the date of the expected period or in case of a menstrual delay of more than 5 days.
The use of emergency contraception does not replace the necessary precautions against sexually transmitted diseases and the measures to be taken in case of risk of transmission. If vomiting would occur within 2 hours after taking this medicine it is recommended to take immediately another Norix 1 tablet.
When should you not use this medicine?
If you have hypersensitivity to Norix 1.
Store below 30°C. Protect from light and moisture. Keep out of children’s reach.