Leufol 10 mg/mlIM/IV Injection
Each Leufol 10 mg/ml film-coated Injection contains Leucovorin Calcium USP equivalent to Leucovorin (Folinic Acid) 5 mg.
Calcium Folinate is a Calcium Salt of Folinic Acid (citrovorum factor), an active metabolite of Folic Acid, and an essential co-enzyme for nucleic synthesis used in Cytotoxic therapy.
Leufol 10 mg/ml Injection is indicated-
- To diminish the toxicity and counteract the effects of overdosage of Folic Acid antagonists.
- To treat Megaloblastic anemia due to folate deficiency, and nutritional deficiency.
- To treat the Megaloblastic anemia of pregnancy and infancy due to folate deficiency
Leufol 10 mg/ml Price in Bangladesh
Dosage and Administration
- Reduction of harmful effects of folic acid antagonists: 5-15 mg tablet every 6 hours for 2 to 3 days.
- Megaloblastic anemia: 5-15 mg tablet daily. Or as directed by the physician.
Folinic Acid is contraindicated for the following:
- Known hypersensitivity to Folinic Acid or any components of the product formulation.
- Pernicious anemia or other Megaloblastic anemia where Vitamin B12, is deficient.
Warning & Precautions
- Folinic Acid treatment may mask pernicious anemia and other Megaloblastic anemia. it is resulting from Vitamin B12, deficiency.
- Folinic Acid should only be used with 5-fluorouracil or Methotrexate under the direct supervision of a clinician experienced in the use of cancer chemotherapeutic agents.
Side Effects of Leufol 10 mg/ml
There are some common side effects of Leufol 10 mg/ml which are not dangerous. The side effects are-
- Allergic reaction-Like sudden itchy rash (hives) & swelling of the hands
- Lips, mouth, or throat (which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing) Fits and fainting
Pregnancy & Lactation
There are no adequate and well-controlled clinical studies conducted on pregnant or breastfeeding women. It is not known whether this drug is excreted in human milk. As many drugs are excreted in human milk, caution should be exercised when Folinic Acid is administered to a nursing mother.
Children & Adolescents
There are no data available on children
- Many Cytotoxic medicinal products direct or indirect DNA synthesis inhibitor-lead to macrocytosis (Hydroxycarbamide, Cytarabine, Mercaptopurine. Thioguanine). Such macrocytosis should not be treated with Folinic Acid.
- in epileptic patients (treated with Phenobarbital, Phenytoin, Primidone, and Succinim ides), there is a risk of increasing the frequency of seizures due to a decrease in plasma concentrations of the anti-epileptic drug.
With food & others:
- There is no known interaction of Leufol 10 with any kind of food.
There have been no reported sequelae in patients who have received significantly more Folinic Acid than the recommended dosage. However, excessive amounts of Calcium Folinate may nullify the chemotherapeutic effect of Folic Acid antagonists.
Store in a cool & dry place, protected from light. Keep out of the reach of children.