Dopen 125 mg/5 ml Powder for Suspension
Dopen 125 mg/5 ml Powder for Suspension is a broad-spectrum penicillin antibiotic effective against a diverse range of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Its mode of action involves inhibiting the biosynthesis of bacterial cell walls. Amoxicillin remains stable in gastric acid and demonstrates rapid absorption following oral administration. It achieves peak plasma concentrations within 1 to 2 hours after oral dosing. This medication exhibits widespread distribution throughout the body tissues and fluids, with varying concentrations.
Uses Of Dopen 125 mg/5 ml
Amoxicillin Trihydrate is indicated for treating various bacterial infections caused by susceptible organisms. It is prescribed for:-
- Genito-urinary tract infections (i.e., pyelonephritis, cystitis, and urethritis)
- Venereal disease (i.e. acute uncomplicated gonorrhoea)
- In dental abscesses, it is used as short-term therapy.
- Ear, nose and throat infections (i.e. otitis media, sinusitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis)
- Skin and soft tissue infections (i.e. cellulitis, carbuncles, furunculosis, infected wounds, abscess)
- Lower respiratory tract infections (i.e. pneumonia, acute and chronic bronchitis, lung abscess, empyema, bronchiectasis)
- It is also indicated in combination with Clarithromycin and Lansoprazole (as triple therapy) for treating patients with H. pylori infection and duodenal ulcer disease and reducing the risk of duodenal ulcer recurrence.
Dosage of Amoxicillin Trihydrate
The dosage of Amoxicillin Trihydrate varies depending on the type and severity of the infection, as well as the patient’s age, weight, and renal function. The prescribed dosages are bellowed:
Adult: 250 mg three times daily, increasing to 500 mg three times daily for severe infections.
Children (up to 10 years of age): 125 mg three times daily, increasing up to 250 mg three times daily for severe infections.
- Severe or recurrent purulent respiratory infection: 3 gm every 12 hours.
- Otitis media: The recommended dose is 1 g three times daily for adults and 40 mg/kg body weight daily in 3 divided doses for children (max. 3 g daily).
- Pneumonia: The recommended dose is 500-1000 mg three times daily.
- Dental abscess: The recommended dose is 3 gm, repeated after 10-12 hours.
- Urinary tract infections: The recommended dose is 3 gm, repeated after 10-12 hours.
- Gonorrhoea: Single dose of 2-3 gm with Probenecid 1 gm is recommended (Probenecid is contraindicated in children under 2 years).
- In renal impairment: reducing the total daily dosage may be necessary.
Dopen 125 mg/5 ml Price in Bangladesh
Dopen 100 ml syrup bottle price is 45.80 tk.
Use of Amoxicillin and Probenecid may result in increased and prolonged blood levels of Amoxicillin. It may affect the gut flora, leading to lower estrogen reabsorption and reduced efficacy of combined oral estrogen/progesterone contraceptives.
Amoxicillin is contraindicated in penicillin-hypersensitive patients.
Side Effects of Amoxon 125 mg/5 ml
Amoxicillin Trihydrate is generally well-tolerated, but like any medication, it can cause adverse effects in some individuals. Common side effects include-
- Gastrointestinal disturbances such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea,
- Abdominal pain.
- Allergic reactions, ranging from mild skin rashes to severe anaphylaxis, can also occur, particularly in patients with hypersensitivity to penicillin or beta-lactam antibiotics.
Precautions & Warnings
During therapy, superinfections with fungal or bacterial pathogens should be monitored. In this situation, it is recommended to discontinue using Amoxicillin and initiate appropriate therapy specifically targeted against the identified pathogens.
Pregnancy and Lactation
US FDA pregnancy category of Amoxicillin is B. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Because animal reproduction studies are not always predictive of human response, Dopen 125 mg/5 ml should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. Amoxicillin has been shown to be excreted in human milk. So, caution should be exercised when Amoxicillin is administered to a lactating mother.
Broad spectrum penicillins
Keep in a dry place away from light and heat. Keep out of the reach of children.