Algin 50 mgTablet
Algin 50 mg tablet strengthens calcium bonding with phospholipids and proteins thus stabilizing the cell membrane of the GI tract. It is a quaternary ammonium antimuscarinic agent with peripheral effects similar to those of atropine.
Uses of Algin 50 mg
Algin 50 mg tablet is an antispasmodic drug. It reduces muscle spasms of the intestine, biliary system, uterus & urinary bladder. It is indicated for-
- The pain in the gastrointestinal,
- Biliary, urinary and gynecological diseases such as gastroenteritis, diarrhea, dysentery, biliary colic, enterocolitis, cholecystitis, ciliopathies, mild cystitis, & spasmodic dysmenorrhoea.
Dosage and Administration
- Tablet: Recommended oral dose of Tiemonium Methylsulphate tablet is 2-6 tablets (100-300 mg) daily in divided doses.
- Injection: Recommended injectable dose is 1 Tiemonium Methylsulphate. Injection 3 times daily, through Intravenous route slowly or Intramuscular route.
- Children: 3 mg – 6 mg/kg body weight/day or 1.5 ml – 3 ml /kg body weight/day in 3 divided doses.
- Adult: 30 mg – 90 mg or 15 ml – 45 ml 3 times daily or as directed by the physician.
Price in Bangladesh
Each Algin 50 mg tablet price is 8 TK and a pack of 100’s is 800 tk in Bangladesh. It may vary in different places.
Tiemonium Methylsulphate should not be used with other drugs without the consultation of a registered physician to avoid its interaction.
Tiemonium Methylsulphate should not be used in Glaucoma or where acute pain of eyeball with vision disturbance was found. It should also not be used in patients with the disorder of prostate or urinary bladder.
Side Effects of Algin 50 mg
As with any active substance, Algin 50 mg may cause certain undesirable or unpleasant effects. In some people, because of taking Tiemonium Methylsulphate, dry mouth with difficulty in swallowing and thirst, dilatation of pupils with loss of accommodation and sensitivity to light, increased intraocular pressure, flushing, dry skin, bradycardia followed by tachycardia, palpitations and arrhythmias, difficulty in micturition and constipation may be seen.
Pregnancy and Lactation
Algin tablet may be used in pregnancy only if it is clearly needed by the assessment of the risk-benefit ratio. Avoid taking this drug without medical advice during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Store below 30°C in a cool and dry place, away from light and moisture. Keep out of reach of children.